Naughty Dog LLC, Iron Galaxy Studios, and PlayStation PC LLC have done a tremendous job by launching UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection as a single-player action-adventure video game. It basically includes UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End and UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy Remastered for PS5 & PC to make it intense. Though PC gamers are loving the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves game, plenty of unfortunate players are facing the Unsupported CPU error.
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter such an issue then don’t worry. Here we’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds for you that should gonna help a lot. If we take a quick look at the specific unsupported CPU error, it appears whenever PC gamers are trying to launch the UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection game irrespective of the desktop or laptop. Well, there is a catch for the CPU-specific requirement that may upset some of you.
Why Uncharted Legacy of Thieves is throwing an Unsupported CPU error?
This particular CPU-related error is appearing on your PC while launching the UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection game due to the lack of AVX2 instruction set support on the processor that you’re using. If your CPU doesn’t have AVX2 instruction set support then either you’ll have to refund the game to avoid such an issue or you can simply buy a new CPU (even maybe a motherboard) that basically supports the AVX2 instruction set. It’s as simple as that.
However, that’s not the case for everyone, and some of the affected players have found a couple of workarounds helpful enough to resolve the unsupported CPU error on their computer that was occurring while running the UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection game on the PC. So, we’ll suggest you follow all the troubleshooting methods one by one until the problem gets fixed. Obviously, there is no harm in trying out the workarounds manually.
You can also check this video tutorial to try fixing the unsupported CPU-related issue for your ease.
1. Check the System Requirements
It’s highly recommended to check out the system requirements properly at your end whether your PC configuration is compatible with the game or not. If your PC specification or the CPU isn’t supported with the respective game then you may encounter startup crashes, black screen issues, graphical glitches, lags, stutters, FPS drops, and so on while trying to launch the game. If your machine lacks any hardware or software compatibility, try upgrading it.
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i5-4330, AMD Ryzen 3 1200
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 960 (4 GB), AMD R9 290X (4 GB)
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 126 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel i7-4770, AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6 GB), AMD RX 570 (4 GB)
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 126 GB available space
As you can see that you’ll at least require an Intel i5-4330 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 CPU on your desktop/laptop to be able to run this game. That means you have to use 4th generation processor at least or higher generation to make it compatible. If you’re using any CPU with third-gen or before, the game might not run.
Additionally, we’ve already mentioned above that your CPU will have the AVX2 instruction set support to run the UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection game on the computer. There is no way or shortcut to get rid of this issue right now. If your CPU doesn’t support the AVX2 instruction set then make sure to buy a new CPU that supports it. You can check out some of the CPUs below that support the AVX2 instruction set officially (out of the box).
- AMD Jaguar Family 16h (2013)
- AMD Puma Family 16h (2014)
- AMD Bulldozer (2011)
- AMD Piledriver (2012)
- AMD Steamroller (2014)
- AMD Excavator (2015)
- AMD Zen (2017)
- AMD Zen+ (2018)
- AMD Zen 2 (2019)
- AMD Zen 3 (2020)
- Intel Sandy Bridge (2011)
- Intel Sandy Bridge E (2011)
- Intel Ivy Bridge (2012)
- Intel Ivy Bridge E (2012)
- Intel Haswell (2013)
- Intel Haswell E (2014)
- Intel Broadwell (2013)
- Intel Skylake (2015)
- Intel Broadwell E (2016)
- Intel Kaby Lake (2017)
- Intel Skylake-X (2017)
- Intel Coffee Lake (2017)
- Intel Cannon lake (2017)
- Intel Whiskey lake (2018)
- Intel Cascade lake (2018)
- Intel Ice Lake (2019)
- Intel Comet lake (2019) [AVX support only seen in Core and Xeon SKUs]
- Intel Tiger Lake (2020) [AVX support only seen in Core, Pentium, and Celeron SKUs]
- Intel Rocket Lake (2021)
- Intel Alder lake (2021)
- Intel Gracemont (2021)
2. Restart your PC
You should try rebooting the computer manually to ensure there is no temporary system glitch present. Sometimes potential glitches or cache data issues can affect the program launching or any kind of errors.
3. Run the Game as an Administrator
Make sure to run the game executable file as an administrator on the PC to allow the user account control access. To do that:
- Go to the installed UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection game directory.
- Right-click on the application file on your PC.
- Click on Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to enable it.
- Once done, click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Finally, just double-click on the game app file to launch it.
If in case, you’re running the game via the Steam or Epic Games Launcher then perform the same steps for the respective game client too.
4. Retry launching the game
It’s also recommended to retry launching the game multiple times so that it can get past the specific error and launch. A couple of affected UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection players have found this trick useful.
5. Press the ALT+ Enter Keys multiple times
You can also try pressing the ALT + Enter keys multiple times once you’re in the UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection game interface to easily switch between the windowed and full-screen windowed modes. It can also come in handy to several players.
6. Set Launch Options to Windowed Mode
Try launching the game in Windowed display mode to check if that helps you or not. Sometimes a computer with an average hardware specification can cause several issues with the fullscreen display mode while running the game.
- Open the Steam client and go to Library.
- Right-click on Uncharted Legacy of Thieves > Select Properties.
- In the General section, click on Set Launch Options.
- Next, copy & paste the following command-line argument:
- Make sure to save changes and try running the game again.
7. Rollback Graphics Drivers (v517.48)
Another thing you should do is downgrade the graphics driver version on your PC by following the steps below. Sometimes the recently installed graphics driver update may have bugs or stability issues that can conflict with the game launching. To do that:
- Press the Win+X keys to open the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Double-click on Display adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card that’s active or you’re using.
- Now, click on Properties > Click on the Driver tab from the new popup window.
- Click on Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen prompts to complete it.
- Just wait for the same and reboot the PC to apply changes.
If the rollback driver option isn’t available then you can manually try downloading and installing the latest Nvidia Graphics Driver version 517.48 on your computer graphics card as per the model number.
8. Do a Clean Installation of the Graphics Driver
If there is no update available for your GPU then you can go to the official graphics card website from the links below and search for the model of your graphics manually. Make sure to download and install the latest GPU driver for your model number as per the manufacturer.
9. Verify and Repair the Game Files
It’s needless to say that issues with corrupted or missing game files on the PC might encounter game-launching problems or errors. You should verify and repair the game files via the game launcher by following the steps below.
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Uncharted Legacy of Thieves from the list.
- Click on Properties > Go to Local Files.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- This process may take some time to get completed. So, have some patience.
- Once done, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Click on the three-dots icon next to Uncharted Legacy of Thieves.
- Click on Verify > Wait for the process to complete and restart the launcher.
10. Set DX11 or DX12 in Launch Options
The chances are high that your game launcher is unable to load the game properly due to the incompatible DirectX version. It’s better to set launch options on the game client by following the steps below:
- Open the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Uncharted Legacy of Thieves.
- Go to Properties > Click on Set Launch Options.
- Type -dx11 or -dx12 and try playing the game again.
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Open Epic Games Launcher > Go to Settings (bottom left).
- Go to the end of the page and click on Manage Games.
- Locate and click on Uncharted Legacy of Thieves.
- Now, tickmark the Additional Command-Line Arguments checkbox.
- Type in -dx11 or -dx12 in the box > Go back and launch the game again.
11. Disconnect Other Peripherals
Sometimes disconnecting other peripherals (unnecessary) from the computer may help you to avoid program launching issues or errors. Here unnecessary external peripherals are like a printer, an additional keyboard/mouse, USB dongles, not-in-use wireless receivers, USB dock stations, RGB lights, and more.
12. Update Windows
If you’re running an outdated Windows version or build number for a while then make sure to follow the steps below to check for the same. Always try to install the latest update of the system so that you can get the latest security patch, improved performance, bug fixes, additional features, and more.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Settings.
- Click on Windows Update > Click on Check for updates.
- If there is an update available, click on Download and Install.
- Wait for the update process to be completed.
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply changes. If the Insurgency Sandstorm crashing is still appearing, don’t worry.
Additionally, you should also check for the optional updates by following the steps below because sometimes a couple of driver updates or security patch updates might appear here that can help you to fix several bugs or issues whatsoever.
- Press the Win+I keys to open Settings.
- Click on Windows Update > Click on Advanced Options.
- Scroll down to locate Additional options.
- Click on Optional updates > If there is an update available, you can select the update.
- Now, click on Download & install then wait some time to complete it.
- Finally, reboot the system manually.
13. Use Windows Media Creation Tool
You should follow this in-depth guide to use the Windows Media Creation Tool to easily reinstall or update the current Windows build on the PC. If you want to perform a clean and full installation of Windows that means wiping out all the data from your C: drive or whichever drive you’re using for Windows installation. So, make sure to take a full backup of the all-important data like documents, media files, apps, etc.
14. Use Debug Mode in Nvidia Control Panel
As the name suggests, Debug Mode of the Nvidia Control Panel program might help you to detect the potential issue with the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Unsupported CPU error while launching the game. This Debug Mode basically reverts the clock speed of the GPU and GPU RAM back to its default settings. To do so:
- Launch the Nvidia Control Panel program.
- Click on Help on top > Click on Debug Mode.
- Now, you can try launching the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves game to check if the problem is still bothering you or not.
15. Set a Virtual Memory
The chances are high that setting up the paging file size for the virtual memory should be equal to or higher than the RAM capacity of the system. Overall, you’ll have to increase the virtual memory size on your PC from the storage space so the respective game can run properly using the extra virtual memory space. If you want to change the virtual memory paging file size, then follow the steps below properly:
Please Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this process. The network policy settings may also cause such issues if your computer is connected to a network.
- Click on the Start menu > Search and open Control Panel.
- Click on Performance and Maintenance > Go to System.
- From the Advanced tab, click on Settings under Performance.
- On the Advanced tab, click on Change under Virtual memory.
- Under Drive [Volume Label], click on the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
- Under Paging file size for the selected drive, click on System Managed Size > Click on Set.
- If this option hasn’t been flagged, restart the PC after flagging it.
- If the system paging file size is used to be System Managed then under Paging file size for selected drive, click on Custom size.
- Now, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box. [It should be 1.5x-2x higher than the physical RAM]
- Finally, click on Set > Restart the PC to apply changes.
16. Use the Dedicated Graphics Card
It’s highly suggested to always use the dedicated (external) graphics card on your desktop for heavy games and applications so that you can get higher graphics performance all the time. To do that:
For Nvidia GPU:
- Right-click on the blank desktop screen > Open Nvidia Control Panel.
- Go to 3D Settings > Click on Manage 3D Settings.
- Open Program Settings > Select Uncharted Legacy of Thieves from the list.
- Select preferred graphics processor for this program from the list.
- Once done, you can see it as High-Performance Nvidia Processor.
- Make sure to save changes and reboot the PC.
For AMD GPU:
- Right-click on the blank desktop screen > Open Radeon Settings.
- Head over to Additional Settings > Go to Preferences.
- Click on Power > Click on Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
- Select Uncharted Legacy of Thieves from the list. [If the game is not visible, select Add Application to include the game]
- Once done, select High Performance from Graphics Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes.
17. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
If your Windows system doesn’t have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables installed or even already installed, make sure to reinstall it manually by following the steps below.
- Open the Start Menu > Type apps & features and open it.
- Click on the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) from the list one by one.
- Click on Uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once all Visual C++ programs are uninstalled, reboot the PC.
- Now, go to the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Make sure to install it on your computer and restart the system to change the effects.
That’s it, guys. We hope this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.